Clinical decision support enables the laboratory to be a driver in the transition to value-based care.
Institutions don’t have the time or capabilities to aggregate, curate and standardize knowledge:
- No single source of trusted, vetted information is available.
- Knowledge is not integrated into physician workflow.
CareSelect Lab provides test guidance, developed by Mayo Clinic, in real-time at the EHR point-of-order entry.
What Is CareSelect Lab?
CareSelect Lab is a decision-support tool that integrates with the most popular electronic health records (EHRs) and aggregates clinical knowledge around a select menu of routine conditions and translates that knowledge into maintained medical policies and best-practice recommendations. The technology is an expansion of NDSC’s CareSelect Platform, which is being used in more than 250 health systems across the United States today.
What makes CareSelect Lab unique is that the clinical guidance is founded in more than 1,500 best-practice alerts authored by Mayo Clinic physicians, scientists, and allied health staff, and it’s based on proven care models from Mayo’s renowned multidisciplinary, integrated medical practice.
Benefits at a Glance
CareSelect Lab provides real-time guidance and addresses common areas of laboratory misutilization that include:
- Flagging obsolete tests.
- Clarifying confusing test names (e.g., creatine vs. creatinine).
- Providing generic cost information.
- Recognizing tests that may produce inaccurate results because of medications or over-the-counter drugs being taken by the patient.
- Identifying test-ordering frequency (repeat tests) and gender rules.
- Offering standardized reports that compare utilization practices among health care providers and across institutions.